Tuesday, March 8, 2011

For the Fame of His Glory

I can remember being in seminary in 1996, Columbia SC, and one of my classmates telling me about this new book called "Desiring God" by a guy named John Piper.  The book came up again in a discussion in our church small group later that week. We didn't have much money at the time but i went out and purchased a copy and read it in 2 days in our trailer home.  No other book outside the Bible has had a greater impact on me and my thinking and theology than "Desiring God.  Basically the introduction and first chapter of the book was like an atomic bomb in my heart - still is.  The one phrase that was burned into my heart "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him." This is Piper's theme for the book, his ministry, and his life.  He has written many other excellent books since then but they are all facets of this one sentence.  When anyone asks me my top ten books the first is always Desiring God. 

All that to say how eager i was to pick up the new book "For the Fame of God's Name, essays in honor of John Piper."  It is an excellent read but what i most enjoyed was the personal stories about John and his life. I wish there had been more.  It is a good book.  But if you are looking for something to change your life read "Desiring God" first.  And certainly check out his outstanding website http://www.desiringgod.org/ Listen and watch him preach and i guarantee you will be impacted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment