Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Adjustment Bureau

There is nothing more important, more precious, more protected, to the Westernized man/woman than their FREEWILL. The Supremacy of free choice. Don't you dare mess with man's absolutely autonomy from any authority. Man must be absolutely free. This often pops up in the church especially when we speak of God's will for us. Do we choose God or has He chosen me? Is my life and eternity already predetermined/predestined? What about my freewill? If I don’t choose first than am I simply a robot or pawn? This is why there was so much potential in the movie Adjustment Bureau. There was the 'Chairman' who planned out everyone's lives, and his 'agents' (or angels) who made sure the plan was followed exactly. Unfortunately the movie takes the easy way out and freewill wins, or love wins in the end. I guess i did not get it as i was comforted by the fact that my life may have been planned out. That God has determined my life's direction is a glorious thought to me. That God is His sovereignty has chosen me! That God has absolute sovereignty over man is a reason for praise not fear. Reminds me of something Jonathan Edward's Wrote:


“From my childhood up, my mind had been full of objections against the doctrine of God’s sovereignty … It used to appear like a horrible doctrine to me. But I remember the time very well, when I seemed to be convinced, and fully satisfied, as to this sovereignty of God…
      And there has been a wonderful alteration in my mind, in respect to the doctrine of God’s sovereignty, from that day to this so that I scarce ever found so much as the rising of an objection against it, in the most absolute sense…. I have often since had not only a conviction but a delightful conviction. The doctrine has very often appeared exceedingly pleasant, bright, and sweet. Absolute sovereignty is what I love to ascribe to God."


No comments:

Post a Comment