Friday, January 21, 2011

Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but....

Its a snow day in NJ today so I'm doing some reading, I just finished a great book on military history, "The Father of us all."  read a chapter in the dense, but excellent book "Redemptive History and Biblical Interpretation"  (I can only take it a chapter at a time!), and wanted something lighter to read for tonight and picked up "Radical" by David Platt. I haven't started it yet, and maybe I'm a bit cynical, but a few things struck me right away:

1. "New York Times Bestseller" printed across the top.  This is unusual for a Christan book.  I can think of only one other Christian book that flaunted this and it was "Reason for God" by Keller which made perfect sense because it was a book to secular people and he is a pastor in NYC. So i guess the publisher wants the reader to be like "Wow! this must be an important book!"

2. The title "Radical" is WAY overused in Christian circles, its like "Extreme" was a few years ago.  Just the other night someone in my Bible Study grabbed one of the church Bibles on the self and put it back because it was titled "The Extreme Bible"  I guess Platt wants us to have a radical faith that goes to the extreme!

3. The author description really gave me reason to pause.  It reads "David Platt is the pastor of the Church at Brook Hills, a four thousand member congregation in Birmingham Alabama.  Widely regarded as an exceptional expositor, David has traveled and taught around the world.  He holds two undergraduate and three advanced degrees, including a doctorate from New Orleans Baptist Seminary."  I have NEVER read anything like this before! I have a ton of books and i looked at them and can't find one that is anything like this.  (& just who regards him as an exceptional expositor?) (How many degrees does Piper have?) (Is John MacArthur widely considered an exceptional expositor?) (Never mind his 3 dgrees were an MDiv, Thm, & Dmin all at the same seminary) (how many people go to Driscoll's church?)

4. I googled Platt after i read his description and found his Church web site. The page on Platt opens, "Dr. David Platt, 32, is deeply devoted to Christ and His Word..." & "A life-long learner, David has earned two undergraduate and three advanced degrees." & "David holds a deep and abiding passion for global disciple-making.." (how thick can they lay it on?) On the home page for the church its first non-negotiable is 'humility' (I'm not kidding!) Its weird that a church would take that as its first purpose, even weirder considering all the superlatives the pastor uses to describe himself

Am i making to miuch of this?
maybe i'm just jealous?
Maybe I'm too cynical but....
New York Times best selling author, exceptional expositor, deeply devoted, 5 degree achieving, mega pastor.... wants me to get radical!
We will see

No comments:

Post a Comment