Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Self-Esteem out of control

I read this today in the book "Thinking against the Grain" by N. Allan Mosely

"The focus on good feelings about self-esteem has had a major impact on public schools, and therefore our children. Teachers spend class time doing exercises that communicate to students how wonderful and important they are. For example when Loren Miller elementary school in Los Angeles decided to take action to improve test scores, they spent part of each day in "I love Me" lessons. Students completed the phrase, "I am…" with words such as "beautiful, lovable, respectable, kind, or gifted." They memorized the sentences instead of memorizing their school work. What was the result of such an approach? As one might expect, students feel better about themselves, even when they have poor academic performance. A 1989 study of math skills compared students in eight countries. Korean students ranked the highest in math performance and the United States students ranked the lowest. The researchers also asked students to rate how good they were at mathematics. The U.S. students ranked highest in their valuation of their own math skills, whereas the Koreans ranked themselves the lowest. " "Thinking against the Grain" p.132

So what happens when we present the Gospel to people with Super Self-Esteem and say things like "God loves you" Is that the truth we need to start with? How about "God is Holy" for a starting point in sharing the Gospel?


In the Words of Isaac Watts "Alas and did my Savior bleed! And did my Sovereign die? Would He devote that sacred Head for such a worm as I?" I find it telling that my 'modern' hymnal changes worm to 'sinner such as I"

No comments:

Post a Comment