Friday, June 4, 2010

Kill the Ump!?

Detroit Tigers' pitcher Armando Galarraga was one out away from a perfect game when the first base umpire Jim Joyce totally blew the call. (see video below) But what amazes me is the reaction from Galarraga and his manager and the Detroit fans.



From Tiger's General Manager:
"I got texts from some people from ESPN that said [it was] disgraceful and it made me sick. I just can't feel that way. I know most people feel I'm an old grumpy [person], but I'm not. But I just can't feel that way. I feel bad for him. But I feel bad for Galarraga, too. Don't get me wrong, that's history. This is not a light thing. This is history. I'm not trying to downplay it. But what's the saying, 'Cast the first stone.'


'"We just aren't the type of society that beats people up. We are a very forgiving society. What the heck? The guy felt worse than anybody in this room. I'm just not going to get into it. I'm not going to do it. Do I feel bad? Did he miss the call? Yes. But this is a very forgiving country. When you are dealing with the human elements, just like a manager making a mistake, or a writer writing a bad story or a player making a mistake, that's just the way it is."


And listen to the ESPN interview below where Galarraga says that HE feels sorry for Joyce and gave him a hug, and felt bad for HIM!!
What a picture of forgiveness!!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=musio3_9Jsc

No comments:

Post a Comment